2009 PhD Chemical Engineering, University of California, Berkeley USA
2004 BSc Chemical Engineering, North Carolina State University USA
In 2013 I helped to start research on cyanobacteria at KTH, on a project to produce butanol. That project evolved into this group. In 2014 I became a SciLifeLab Fellow, and moved to Science for Life Laboratory. As group leader, I direct our ongoing projects so that they complement one another. As an advisor, I want students to learn to look for how research projects fit together. I also want for students to develop technical skills in instrumentation and data processing. It is their success in this that has allowed our research to expand into new areas.
2018 PhD Microbial Chemistry, Uppsala University Sweden
2010 BSc Biotechnology and BA Law, Tianjin Normal University China
I have been a good friend of cyanobacteria for many years. I have done research on metabolic engineering and protein engineering in a model unicellular cyanobacteria strain. I also have a great interest, and have been doing deep investigations on, the physiological effects of carbon-based end metabolites in cyanobacteria. My current research is aiming for discovering and engineering good bacterial candidates for efficient CO2 fixation and chemical production. From 2019 to 2020 I was a Post-doc researcher in French Alternative Energies and Atomic Energy Commission, CEA Cadarache.
2017 PhD Microbial Chemistry, Uppsala University Sweden
I did my PhD in Uppsala University doing metabolic engineering on cyanobacteria for terpenoid production. After that I was a Post-doc researcher at the Joint Bioenergy Institute in Berkeley USA from 2018-2021 working on high throughput polyketide synthase engineering. In the fall of 2021, I joined the Hudson lab. Here I will continue my research interest of applying modern methods for metabolic engineering by developing and applying methods for high throughput engineering of cyanobacteria.
2021 PhD Biology, University Freiburg Germany
2017 MSc Biochemistry & Biophysics, University Freiburg Germany
2013 BSc Biology, University Freiburg Germany
During my PhD I tried to unravel the secrets of a central ribonuclease in the cyanobacterium Synechocystis sp. PCC 6803. To do so, I combined both experimental wet lab work and bioinformatic analyses. I am enthusiastic to now use this knowledge to change gear towards more applied research on cyanobacteria and help to investigate the potential use of cyanobacteria and their enzymes to create more sustainable solutions.
2020 MSc Medical Biotechnology, KTH Sweden
I joined the group during the Spring of 2020 for my MSc thesis degree project. After graduation, I stayed with the group to keep working on the project – interaction proteomics in autotrophic bacteria. The focus of the project is to explore post-translational regulation of carbon fixation in multiple bacteria to enable a future increase in carbon flux through the cycle. I am also eager and curious to explore other topics, and develop both wet and dry lab skills.
2021 MSc Industrial Biotechnology, KTH Sweden
I joined the lab in 2021. I am interested in metabolism in all of its varieties. In my master's thesis at KTH I studied the puzzle of amino acid secretion by anaerobic Clostridia. In this group I will work to develop and apply new proteomics methods for cyanobacteria and plant. Our hope is to uncover new types of regulation in carbon fixation. Alteration of these regulations could lead to cells with faster carbon uptake or altered product secretion.
Synechocystis strain PCC 6803
Evolved billions of years ago
I was isolated for research around 1970 from a lake near Berkeley, California. I was the first photosynthetic organism to have a genome sequenced. My main interests are light and CO2. I exist in thousands of tubes and flasks around the world. Through this distributed existence I silently and relentlessly sample genetic mutation. In some of my many permutations, I can consume glucose. In others I move toward the light, in others still I retract from it. I joined this group in 2011, was discarded after a contamination was discovered, but returned again in 2012.
- Nadia Doge (visiting), Ph.D. student University Copenhagen
- Nick Crang (postdoc), researcher at NGI Stockholm
- Amina Bensabra (exjobb), Consultant at agap2 Stockholm
- Markus Janasch (doktorand), Senior researcher at SINTEF Norway
- Linnéa Strandberg (exjobb), Ph.D. student CEA Saclay, Paris
- Luise Zeckey (exjobb), Ph.D. student Children’s Hospital, University Hospital LMU Munich
- Albert Anis (exjobb), Founder, ValleyDao
- Michael Jahn (postdoc), Bioinformatician, Max-Planck Institute for Infection Biology
- Ivana Cengic (doktorand), Research scientist, Annoca Biotech Sweden
- Jan Karlsen (doktorand), Research Scientist, Volta Greentech Sweden
- Johannes Asplund-Samuelsson (doktorand), Data Scientist, Scania Sweden
- Arvid Gynnå (postdoc), National Forensic Center, Linköping Sweden
- Sara Baldanta (visiting), Ph.D. student University Complutense, Madrid
- Kiyan Shabestary (doktorand), Postdoc Imperial College London
- Cristopher Ollagnier Widen (exjobb)
- Manuel Bruch (exjobb), Ph.D. student, University College Dublin
- Lun Yao (postdoc), Associate Professor, Dailan Institute of Chemical Physics
- Kyle Kimler (exjobb), Associate computational scientist, Broad Institute USA
- Olivia Hallman (exjobb), Laboratory engineer, GE Healthcare Sweden
- Johann Bauerfeind (visiting), Founder and CEO, Solaga Germany
- Da Wang
- Emil Ljungqvist (exjobb), Ph.D. student, KTH Sweden
- Astrid Nilsson (exjobb), Research associate, Swedish Environmental Institute
- Raquel Perucca (exjobb), Ph.D. student, Lund Sweden
- Vital Vialas (postdoc), Data Scientist, Airmee Sweden
- Dora Vitay (researcher), Enginzyme Sweden
- Linnea Österberg (exjobb), Ph.D. student, Chalmers Sweden
- Quentin Thomas (exjobb), Ph.D. student, Copenhagen Denmark
- Danuta Kaczmarzyk, Scientist, Photanol Netherlands
- Petter Hammar (postdoc), Scientist, Astrego Therapeutics Sweden
- Josefine Anfelt (doktorand), Scientist, Cytiva Sweden
- Susan Bigesse (exjobb), Process engineer, Rentschler Biopharma Germany
- Josefin van der Meer (researcher), Process engineer, Cortus Energy Sweden
- Mahanand Muppidi (exjobb)
- Anja Erhmann (researcher), Ph.D. student, Copenhagen Denmark
- Heriberto Velez (postdoc), Researcher, Sweden Agricultural University
- Amanda Särnegrim (exjobb), Product development, Aerosol Scandinavia